Tuesday, February 24, 2009

What's in a Name: Anne of Green Gables

I finally found a book that had a building in the title!  Actually, I found two, in the same series, and I decided book 1 was a more logical place to start.

Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montogmery is home of one of my favorite characters in all of literature.  There are millions of women just like me who just relate and love little Anne Shirley, but I like to think I'm special and I'm the only one in all the world who understands and sees herself in the spirited 11 year old girl.

For those that have not been introduced, siblings Marilla and Matthew Cuthbert live on Prince Edward Island in a house called Green Gables.  They are both getting on in years and decide that for help on the land they will adopt a young orphan boy.  A mix up in the message brings them a little orphan girl, and the young girl who was never wanted anywhere starts her adventure on Prince Edward Island and at Green Gables.

Some of the most memorable characters in literature are thus introduced; Anne meets her bosom friend Diana Barry, her mortal enemy Gilbert Blythe at school, her inspiration teacher Miss Stacy and half a dozen other girls from Avonlea.  She goes to the top of her class, passes her entrance exam to Queens, and gets a scholarship to college to receive her BA.  Alas sadness hits in the end, and Anne and Gilbert forgive their differences and Anne takes the teaching job at Avonlea.  Her and Gilbert will take their college courses correspondence, and will now be good friends.

I love this book.  I love Anne Shirley, I love Gilbert.  Reading this book is like sitting down with a blanket and a fire place and just a warm feeling in your heart.
"There's such a lot of different Annes in me. I sometimes think that is why I'm such a troublesome person. If I was just the one Anne it would be ever so much more comfortable, but then it wouldn't be half so interesting." - Anne Shirley, Anne of Green Gables, L.M. Montgomery
And if you aren't aware, there are films of this and the first two are very, very enjoyable.  The third one is garbage, don't waste your money or your time.  But the first one and second one are worth every minute.  Meghan Fellows is a terrific Anne.

No comments:

Post a Comment