Monday, February 23, 2009

Lit Flicks Challenge: Wrap Up

What I read:

Confessions of a Shopaholic- Sophie Kinsella

The Secret Life of Bees - Sue Monk Kidd

The Nanny Diaries - Emma McLaughlin and Nicole Kraus

The Golden Compass - Phillip Pullman

The Jane Austen Book Club - Karen Joy Fowler

Of those 5, only one is on my original list.  Which is a terrible travesty I do say.  Consequently, the good thing is, I did not buy any of those other books so they are not currently in my TBR pile, save Nights in Rodanthe, which I recently recieved from Jessica at Bluestockings!  (Thanks again).

I loved this challenge.  I am a big fan of reading books and seeing what movie makers make of them.  I enjoy the high and mighty feeling of being in a movie theater and knowing full well what will happen, and saying to myself, "oh that wasn't in the book."  I like seeing a visual representation of what my mind creates.  In my mind, Harry Potter is not very similar to Daniel Radcliffe.  His hair is different, and he doesn't have the cocky demeanor that Radcliffe seems to put into the character (maybe that's just my interpretation of him).  Or, more recently Twilight.  Jacob looked nothing like that actor to me.  And I didn't ... I don't know.  My minds version of Twilight is oh so much more satisfying than the movie version.  Though, achem, I will be first in line to buy the movie when it comes out on March 21st (my birthday!  /end shameless plug).

Of what I read, I'd have to say I enjoyed Secret Life of Bees the most.  Nanny Diaries was a re-read for me, and Confessions was just so campy and silly it won't make a repeat performance.  Compass dragged on (both the literary and film version) and JA Club made a terrific movie (with creative license) and sort of a bland book.  Bees was a quick enjoyable read with great prose and the movie was entertaining and watching Dakota Fanning grow up is sort of marvelous.  She's going to be a terrific little actress some day (stay away from drugs!  And Britney Spears!  And Paris!  And anyone else who works in Holly-wierd!).  The movie was faithful to the story and it was well done.  Latifah and Keys were fabulous.

I will continue to read books that are being turned into movies and I will continue to review movies that were made from books.  Thank you to Jessica for hosting a terrific challenge and I hope you do another one soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment