Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Historical Fiction Challenge: To Hold the Crown

To Hold the Crown, Jean Plaidy.

I picked this up at Target.  You know they have a section of books dedicated to Tudor England and I saw this there and thought ... oooh, surely it might be good!

It's not.

It's a republished book.  I know mother, I failed you.  My mother, also an avid reader, taught me very early to always check publication dates.  Her point was to make sure she didn't buy something she had read years earlier (who can remember everything one reads?  Especially before the internet!).  I should have followed her sage example.

The write up on the back is misleading.  And calling this fiction is a bit of a stretch.  The story is told to us.  There is no action.  And the chapters are repetitive.  By page 150 I was bored, and had very little interest in the Queen (who was heard from rarely) and had more interest in Henry VII but he was such a minor character in a book supposedly about him that I just skipped to the chapters that I wanted to read.

I'm posting this for the Historical Fiction Challenge but I'm so sad that two of the books I've read have been bad.  Not to worry, I have more His. Fic. to read and will add those when they are finished.  Here's hoping they are better.  But like I said on twitter; life is too short to spend too much time on bad books.

No comments:

Post a Comment