Monday, February 2, 2009

Musing Mondays

Musing Mondays are hosted by Rebecca at Just One More Page ... this weeks question ...

How do you choose what do buy from your local bookstore? Do you have a list, or just browse? What is the selection in your book store like? Do you find what you're looking for? Do you feel pressured to buy the kind of books the store makes prominent? (question courtesy of MizB)

This question spoke to me as I was just wondering this while I wandered around BN wondering what to buy with my $25 gift card.  What would I buy?  I have a want to read pile a thousand titles long, but I didn't have it with me at the time and I knew some of the books on that list, but they were mostly Tudor historical fiction and I can not stomach paying full price for one more book on Elizabeth, Ann or Henry, even though I love them.  There has to be a limit!

So ... my process is generally thus ... peruse the new releases.  This can take anywhere from 5 minutes to 20 depending on what's new.  Then I look at the staff picks.  Usually these are pretty lame (my opinion).  But occasionally there are jewels hidden between the random indie picks and the biographies.  If nothing is there, then I look at the tables.  These are my favorite.  They have more new releases, and are typically newer writers that don't always get into that front shelf with the Dan Browns and John Grishams.

So if there's nothing on these tables, then I check the old faithfuls.  The writers I've read for years who's new releases don't always make the front shelf or who I may have missed throughout the year.  I check Czerneda in the science fiction section, Crusie in romance, Rinaldi in YA.  And some others that I can't remember... Barbara Michaels.

Usually, if I can't find anything that peaks my interest in the Lit / Fic section I hang out in the children's section.

My new favorite bookstore (aside from Amazon, where I can shop for books at work! Joy!) is the used bookstore just south of my house.  And there I take a list.  If I can.  Because otherwise I'd be there for hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment