Monday, May 4, 2009

Musing Mondays

Musing Mondays is hosted by Just One More Page.

Today’s MUSING MONDAYS post is about your tbr pile…


How many books (roughly) are in your tbr pile? Is this in increasing number or does it stay stable? Do you ever experience tbr anxiety in the face of this pile? (question courtesy of Wendy)

PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT with either the link to your own Musing Mondays post, or share your opinion in a comment here (if you don’t have a blog). Thanks.
Apparently, according to this post, this question caused some tummy aches for several readers.

My TBR pile is a constant tummy ache for me to, so I understand.

There are probably 15-20 books in my TBR pile.  It's constantly fluctuating.  I take one away, I add three, I read two, I add seven.  I face some of anxiety in the face of this pile.  One, because it represents cash money that I've spent, in many cases, and two, because some of those books I just don't want to read anymore.

Like Fall on Your Knees.  Having read 4 or 5 of Oprah's book club picks, I have no faith that this one is any good.  And it just looks so looooooonnnnggg.

So, what I should do is just pick out the ones I know I'm not going to read and trade them in at the used book store.  That would be the intelligent, and indeed healthy, thing to do.  But it would also be admitting that I can not - ever - get through this pile of particular books.

When did my pile get to be so unmanageable?  When I actually started piling it up in a place where I see it all the time.  Used to be, books that I bought would get put away on the book shelf.  In the craft room.  Which is in a part of the house I don't ever have to visit if I don't want to.

Now that I'm making a conscious effort not to buy more books until I read the ones I have (hear that brain! I'm talking to you!) the pile is in my bedroom on a chair next to my bed.  And visible.  Constantly.

But that's okay.  At some point I'll read them.  For now I just like having them around.  Knowing they are there if I want them.

4 comments:

  1. I had floor to ceiling bookshelves built to house my books. When that still wasn't enough space hubby made me get rid of some. I need to purge again, but feel much better about my pile since the big purge a year or so ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know...reading many answers of todays question...that their TBR pile makes many people anxious. I don't get it...I find it comforting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My TBR pile is all over the house - small stack by the bed for late night reading, small stack near the kitchen for packing with my lunch for lunch time reading, another stack on a bookcase for rainy day reading, a few in the craft area for ideas, and more stacked on the basement bookcase for when all the others have been read....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Stacy: you won a copy of Made in the USA by Billie Letts on my blog. Whenever you have a chance, e-mail me your address to Nelaine[dot]Sanchez[at]Gmail.com so that I can have it sent to you asap. Have a happy Monday!

    ♥ Nely

    ReplyDelete