Wednesday, June 17, 2009

What's in a Name: Friday Night Knitting Club

Friday Night Knitting Club, by Kate Jacobs

Georgia Walker runs Walker and Daughter, a premier knitting shop in downtown New York.  She's been raising her 12 year old daughter, Dakota, alone and running the shop and has been doing just fine thank you, with help from her friends.

Kind of accidentally, a group of strangers starts meeting every Friday night to get tips on knitting projects, to escape lonely apartments and procrastinate from school work.  And the knitting club is born.

There is a large cast of characters here, all revolving around Georgia and the knitting shop.  There's the married Darwin who's husband is away doing a residency, the single Lucie who desperately wants a baby, K.C. who's been laid off and looking for a new direction, wise Anita, widowed and looking at her future, and Peri, the entrepeneur who makes purses out of the shop and runs the cashier.  And James, Georgia's long lost love (and Dakota's father) and Cat, Georgia's long lost friend from high school.

As is often a problem in these novels ... the multiple points of view gets old for me.  And some of the characters were more interesting then others.  The story itself was often slow, and meandering, and not very cohesive.

The best part was the knitting, and the yarn, and Anita.  Many of the other characters felt cliche to me.  Including Georgia, who's saint act wore on.  Everyone loves her, she's such a great person, she's never annoying, she's always right, and everyone admires her and dotes on her.  She's the perfect mother, friend and girlfriend.  And yet, in her POV, she's unaware of this constant barrage of attention?  Please.

I think I'll give this one 3 stars.  It was pleasant, in a sugar-sweet, rush to the end kind of way.  It took me a week to finish which means I didn't like it that much.  But it did get me knitting again.  Which is cool.  I liked the knitting part.  And I think I even learned something.  Or rather, I read about something that made me curious so I researched and learned something.  Which is always fun.

Beach read, definitely.  If you're a knitter, it'll make you want to find a nice eccentric shop and see if they have classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment