Monday, March 9, 2009

Libraries

Are awesome.  They are the greatest of all the inventions, of all the public buildings, of all things that my taxes pay for ... libraries by far are the thing I most enjoy.

The internet has made libraries even more awesome.  Now I can peruse their shelves online, find what I want, and reserve it!  I can extend my kidnapping of the books already in my care, and I can determine what's new and what's coming soon.

Sigh.  I love libraries.  Did I mention they are free?

I've moved frequently in my young life.  12 times in 18 years.  And I can say, pretty certainly, that one of the first places we visited at each new destination, was the public library.  Some were better than others.  New Hampshire's library was the bestest.   They had reading clubs for kids, storyhour, and a large (in my 11 year old mind) kids section.

When I moved back to Boston, my first stop was the Waltham Public Library.  Oh I still love that library.  It was within walking distance of my house.  And look at it!  It was breath taking.  They were part of the Minute Man Network too so any book - really, almost any book - I could have at that library within 24 hours.
Libraries are an awesome resource.  They offer computer classes (for nominal fees), movie screenings, book groups, and the staff are almost always nice and friendly and knowledgable.  Both about the library and about the community in general!  I think they are nice because they get to hang out with books all day.  I would be nice too!
I go on like this, because yesterday I made a visit to our local library.  It does not have near the selection the library in Waltham had, but it's still very nice.  I got Countdown (90% certain I'd already read this, but couldn't be sure), Stalemate and Quicksand.  All part of a series I started years ago.  And after some of the dry stuff I've been reading (see Midwives, To Hold the Crown, Widow of the South) I needed light, quick fare.  These books that take me over 3 days to complete are for the birds!

I also got Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict.  Now, sadly, none of these help me with my challenges this year.  And only one is on my TBR pile.  I find I can not stay dedicated to any list of books I create.

Still.  I finished Countdown in half a day, the other two in that Eve Duncan series will be as quick (they're really good, but not worth a review).  Confessions ought to be similar.  Than I think I'm attacking The Friday Night Knitting Club for the What's in a Name Challenge.

I love the library.  I quenched my book addiction and didn't spend a penny!

No comments:

Post a Comment