Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Belong to Me

Belong to Me, Marisa de los Santos

Sigh.  You know when you're reading a good book and you are equal parts riveted, moved and entertained?  That is the writing of Marisa de los Santos.  At least for me.  I was so sad when this one ended.

I loved, Loved Walked In.  Belong to Me is the continuation of those main characters - Cornelia, Teo, and Claire's - story.  Though one doesn't necessarily have to go with the other.

Cornelia and Teo are married and moving into the suburbs.  She runs into the "HOA lady" (my phrasing, not hers - no mention of HOA in this novel) and it doesn't go well, and then we have Dev, the 13 year old boy-genius who is being raised by a single mother.  The novel is told from these three narrators perspectives.  And I think what makes this work for Santos and crash and burn for others, is that each of these three has an individual story line that is independent of the others, but also intertwines.  Piper (HOA lady) is dealing with her best friend's fatal cancer, and that's really just all her.  But in the background Cornelia will watch the kids from time to time for her, so she's there, but she's not part of the main action.  For Dev, he has a huge crush on Claire, who stays with Cornelia from time to time, but she's not involved in his exact story, just the peripheral edges.

And each voice is unique.  Cornelia is ... well Cornelia.  I can't explain her she is too complex.  Piper is the perfect housewife who is holding her world together by a thread, and everything isn't all that perfect. Dev is a 13 year old wonder-kid who loves science and to learn.  They are all very cool.

What did get old - and this is such a minor thing it's almost not worth mentioning - Cornelia and Teo always say the perfect things, for every situation they are completely in tune, always in sync always making everyone feel at ease.  While I have no doubt that there probably is someone out there like that ... I've never met them.

What I LOVED about this novel was the main character (Cornelia) doesn't have man trouble.  So often in novels where women are the main character the central thesis is my husband is this, or my boyfriend did that, or we can't get married, my parents hate him ... what have you.  This is not true here.

Teo is in the background for most of the novel as this completley supportive, giving, working husband, while Claire sorts out life in the burbs.  Now at the end conflict does strike, but even then the cruxt of it isn't life threatening, it's just a hurdle.  And the main purpose of the novel isn't conflict, but the relationships that we have in our lives, and how we all belong.

I was hooked to this book from the word go.  The first chapter could have been my first week in my new house, could have been me talking to the neighbors.  Neighbor at front door:  "Hi!  Welcome to the neighborhood!  Do you have any children?"  Me, with a bright smile: "Hi!  Thank you!  No we don't."  Neighbor frowns,  "Too bad."  And turns to leave.  I stand slack jawed.  This happened more than once. And was funniest when the neighborhood kids (all dozen or so of them) showed up at our front door demanding to know where the kids we had were hiding.  The moans when I informed them of their absence from existence were defeaning.

I loved this book.  Loved, loved, loved.  It's just so good.  Heartache, loss, joy, love, surprise twist, everything.  It's a great story.  And I related to all of it - which is probably why I loved it so much.  And Santos is just a great writer.  I hope to hear she has something new out soon.

And yet again ... doesn't help me with any challenges.  But I did mention it on my books to read for April!

No comments:

Post a Comment