Saturday, February 5, 2011

ReReads: The Host and Breaking Dawn

So my book club choose The Host for the book to read for the February meeting.  I had read it two years ago (see linked review) but I wanted to reread it so I could talk intelligently about it, and with details.  I just finished it again today.

But before I read that one, I reread Breaking Dawn, because it was available for download to my iphone from the public library, and I've needed an Edward fix.

I have to say, I enjoyed Breaking Dawn a lot more the second time.  I could still do without just about everything after she turns into a vampire.  Actually, I can pinpoint it better than that.  Everything after Irina sees the baby in the forest.  Everything after that is crap.

But the 500 pages before that were enjoyable.

The Host, I enjoyed less the second time around.  I remembered LOOOVING it so I think I had no where to go but down.  I still liked it.  But the simplicity of it really bothered me.  Meyer took such the lazy way out with the science of the medicine, specifically.  It really bothered me.  "Smooth?"  Really?  "No Pain?"  Really?  And even when decribing other planets, she kept saying over and over again, "the word for it in this language is, chases bears by river, but it has a much prettier name in their language."  Being able to say that is sort of a cop out, isn't it?

Still ... I enjoyed it again.  Would recommend it again.  The wierd love quaderangle is fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment