Thursday, October 5, 2006

Gateway Books

This woman needs to go away.

And somebody in that school system needs to stand up and tell her to. Especially after she said on Tuesday that school shootings happen because kids read Harry Potter books.

Okay I paraphrased. But that is what she said.

I submit, that if more students read Harry Potter and turned off their video games, thus inviting them into their imagination instead of becoming hypnotized by all the pretty graphics, there would be less school violence.

Also because reading requires a gateway drug; once you open the door to how much fun reading can be, there is no end to what books a child might reach for. And Harry Potter for so many children, is the stepping stone to what brough them to literature. Lots and lots of good literature too (in the same genre for example Chronicles of Narnia, Lord of the Rings).

There are very few books that I can think of that should be banned. In fact, off the top of my head, I can think of none. Certain books may be age appropriate, like I'm not sure I'd let a seven year old read Goblet of Fire. But definitely a 13 year old or greater.

Anyway - just showing my support for Harry and Ms. Rowling. I feel confidant that district will make the right decision.

I think I'll read Harry Potter after I'm done with my second Marie Antoniette book!

No comments:

Post a Comment